Week 4 - Flickr mashups & 3rd party sites

Like many web 2.0 sites, Flickr has encouraged people to build their own online applications using images found on the site.
Through the use of APIs (application programming interfaces), many people have created third party tools and mashups* that use Flickr images.

Note: Basically mashups are hybrid web applications that take features from one application (like Flickr) and mash it up with another (like Mappr).

Here are just a few examples …
Mappr - allows you to take Flickr images and paste them on a map
Flickr Color Pickr - lets you find public photos in Flickr that match a specific color.
Montagr – creates a photo mosaic from photos found on Flickr.

Discovery Exercise:
1.Explore some of the fun Flickr mashups and 3rd party tools that are out there.
2.Create a blog post about one that intrigues you.
3.Have a look at FD ToysTrading Card Maker.
4.Create a map of your travels using Mapmaker or create a jigsaw
example of map of my travels
or
3. Create a mosaic of your favourite photos on your desktop using Montagr
or
4. Create a Library Trading Card, there are alot of librarians out there that have created their own Librarian Trading Card.

Have a look at:
Spell with Flickr.



1 comment:

  1. Wasn't fun for me at all, but as I've said before, photos aren't my 'thing'. I kept trying things that didn't work for me and wasn't sure whether it was me or the site that was at fault. Some 'how-tos', e.g. Creative Commons videos, would be useful. I'm reluctant to join sites that I don't see myself returning to, so that limits me. I managed at last to make a jigsaw, but was disappointed to find that it's a photo of the photo as a jigsaw, not a 'live' jigsaw. Crazy expectations maybe.

    ReplyDelete

Useful comments!